Reception Summer Curriculum
Welcome Back! We hope you have had a restful and enjoyable Easter holiday. We are looking forward to the term ahead with warmer days and as ever, exciting events and activities!
During the first half term our main topic is Space. After half term we will learn about aspects of the Seaside.
We will also continue to develop the children’s own personal interests through ongoing observations.
The children will continue their learning journey through the 7 areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum which are as follows:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development - As always there will be a strong emphasis in this area with a specific focus during circle time sessions and everyday support and encouragement through all classroom and playtime activities. Children will be encouraged to work more independently in small groups or individually.
- Physical Development - the children will be engaging in activities such as; swimming, gymnastics, refining their ball skills, balancing and teamwork activities in readiness for sports day! They will be becoming more independent in changing themselves through PE and swimming. We will continue to develop their fine motor skills and co-ordination through a variety of daily activities and an additional focused handwriting session.
- Communication and Language - Children will continue to be encouraged to communicate with each other and adults through small group sessions on the carpet and specific times such as snack. They will be encouraged to listen carefully to each other at Circle time and during phonics sessions.
- Literacy - With a strong focus on ‘Talk for Writing’ and through a variety of texts and genres involving space and the seaside we will be developing children’s phonic knowledge, unaided writing and reading strategies including early comprehension.
- Mathematics - We will be focusing on developing children’s knowledge and understanding of subtraction and addition strategies and developing their understanding of place value beyond 10. Our topic work and role play will also promote the children’s language and understanding of shape, space and measures.
- Understanding of the World – Forest school and taking the classroom outside will continue as well as investigations into space and seaside. We are also visiting ‘We the Curious’ and after half term we will travel by steam train to Watchet to go rock pooling.
- Expressive Arts and Design - In this area there will be opportunities to use different media to create representations of space and the seaside. We will also be rehearsing for the Pre Prep summer show where children will have the opportunity to develop dance and drama skills.
Busy, Busy, Busy!
This will be a very busy, exciting term, please feel free to come and discuss what your child has been doing in school, as we know they are often reluctant to share information! Please encourage your child to bring in items of interest from home related to our topics and save their home toys for Golden Time on Fridays.
Dates to Remember
Thursday 26th April – ‘We the Curious’ trip
Monday 21st May – Parent–Teacher Meetings.
Wednesday 23rd May – Stay and Play 8.30am
Friday 25th May – Half term; school ends at 4.30
Thursday 14th June – Watchet on the steam train!
Thursday 5th July – Term ends
Forest School will take place every Friday; please ensure your child is suitably dressed with long sleeves and trousers
PE/Games – This takes place on Mondays and Thursdays; please could all children now have their PE kit in school so that they may change each week for their lesson. This is to develop their skills in readiness for year 1.
Swimming – children will need a swimming bag left in school for hot days, this needs to include; swimming costume/trunks, rash vest, swimming hat (girls only), towel, armbands (if needed) and flip flops; everything named please. Please let a member of staff know if your child needs ear plugs put in or any specific requirements.
Sun cream – Please apply sun cream to your child in the morning and we will top up when necessary; sun cream will be provided by school however you are welcome to provide your own.
“Many thanks for your continued support!”
- Mrs C Fidler