6 February 2017
This year’s History Week focused on the history of our very own school! King’s Hall School is housed within a Georgian manor house which was built in 1760, so there is over 250 years’ worth of history to research! During that time, it became Pyrland Hall and even acted as the South West Headquarters for the Auxiliary Territorial Service, which was a women’s branch of the British Army during World War Two.
Children in Years 3 – 6 looked at various parts of the building’s history, largely researching how things have changed from various points in time. They saw lots of old photos dating as far back as the 1940s and compared what it was like as a school from 1952, when it was bought by King’s College as the junior boys’ house. The children learned about some of the previous uses for rooms we all know; for instance, the Library used to be the Dining Hall! They also visited the school archive and discovered lots of physical pieces of history to really bring everything to life. As well as photos and archives, the children were lucky enough to have a visit from Mr Warren, who was at King’s Hall (then Pyrland Hall) from 1957. Everybody was surprised to learn how different things were and that there weren’t any girls at the school!
The whole week helped children to learn how to research as well as how much history just one building can hold!
Below are some examples of the children’s work and the photographs they looked at.